- 1 sweet onion
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon butter or butter flavored Pam cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Slightly hollow out each onion.
- Arrange onions in small baking dish.
- Place 1 bouillon cube in each onion, top with butter and 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- These can also be made on the grill.
- Just double wrap in aluminum foil and grill until tender.
Lime Grilled Shrimp.
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb shelled deveined uncooked shrimp
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- Add shrimp; toss to coat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Thread shrimp on metal skewers; reserve marinade.
- Place skewered shrimp on grill over medium heat.
- Cook 3-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and brushing with marinade occasionally.
Creamy Tomato Soup.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 cups of chopped tomatoes (use fresh when in season, otherwise use good quality canned)
3 cups of tomato juice
10 fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
1 cup of half and half
4 tablespoons of butter
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot and cook the onions and garlic until they soften, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato juice and simmer for 20 minutes, until soup thickens slightly. Blend the soup along with the basil leaves, return soup to pot and season with salt and pepper. With the soup on low heat, add the half and half and the butter, stirring until it’s all combined and the butter is completely melted.